Monitoring and management of WWTPs
Decentralized wastewater treatment
According to statistical data, approximately 10 to 16% of the population in the Czech Republic will be dependent on a system other than the classic centralized wastewater treatment (central sewage system with a single WWTP). It is relevant to the countryside and isolated local parts of towns – i.e. municipalities up to 2,000 inhabitants.
The Czech Republic had to fulfill adequate wastewater treatment in these municipalities by 21 December 2015, with a possible postponement to 2021. An appropriate way to solve the situation is to build decentralized WWTPs with a telemetric control system. In this way, wastewater can be treated directly at the point of its origin, and it can also be returned to nature instead of its removal from the landscape. The installed system then provides real-time data on the operation of individual WWTPs 24/7 and can replace expensive and often inaccurate manual sampling 2x / 4x a year, as stipulated by the applicable legislation. Thus, it completely eliminates the problem of individual (i.e. “uncontrolled”) operation of the WWTP!
The fundamental advantage of decentralized wastewater treatment is the reduction of investment costs, often by up to 50% compared to classic centralized systems. These projects become subsidized (State Environmental Fund of the Czech Republic within the National Environment Program). The operating costs are slightly higher than with centralized systems, but in the long run, decentralized systems appear to be more cost-effective.
Domestic (individual) or group wastewater treatment plants represent a lower initial investment, have minimal requirements for space, operation and control of their function. At the same time, the efficiency of the cleaning process is excellent with proper maintenance, checks and remote supervision by a professionally qualified operator.
The biggest problem is compliance with the prescribed operating rules, regular inspections, service maintenance and the conscientious export of sludge by the end user of the WWTP.
By using the ENCELADUS system telemetry, all “critical” points of the WWTP are equipped with appropriate sensors, which then can be used to fully monitor the WWTP and manage its operations. The control module of the WWTP autonomously evaluates data from the sensors and sends them to the dispatching (monitoring software) of the system.
The sophisticated electronic management replaces most of the manual processes and controls of the WWTP.
The status and functionality of the cleaning process of individual WWTPs are monitored 24 hours a day by the system control software. The WWTP can also be controlled and adjusted remotely through the monitoring software. The system will then automatically alert you to non-standard conditions in the form of SMS or emails.
Data can be available both to users or operators of WWTPs and to water management authorities. Permanent online control of the WWTP is significantly more objective than manual sampling.
The ENCELADUS system telemetry for monitoring and control of the AT plus WWTPs completely eliminates the problems of individual (i.e. “uncontrolled”) operation of domestic and group wastewater treatment plants. All WWTPs are connected to the system and monitored by one professionally qualified operator.
WWTPs in operation
WWTPs planned in 2023
Features and capabilities of the telemetry system
Pros and cons
- Wastewater treatment directly at the place of its origin, use of purified wastewater and rainwater within the municipality
- Water retention in the landscape and improvement of water conditions (avoidance of water draining from the landscape)
- Realization of a “municipal sewage system” without the need to dig into roads and restrict road traffic during construction
Various levels of telemetric equipment of the WWTP, from monitoring its basic mechanical functionality to monitoring of the chemical properties of the water at the outflow
- Local and remote (manual or fully automatic) control of the WWTP, monitoring of the opening of the WWTP lid
- Reporting of malfunctions and non-standard status in the form of SMS or emails
- Management of the agenda for the processing of the annual report for the State Environmental Fund of the Czech Republic, service logs, planning and monitoring of sludge export, processing of documents for invoicing, etc.
- More objective and significantly simpler supervision of WWTPs than manual sampling, making data available directly to water authorities
- Reduction of investment costs by up to 50%, subsidization of such projects (State Environmental Fund of the Czech Republic)
- Higher costs for operating the system as a whole (the “break-even point” happens after 40 years of system operation at the earliest)
- More demanding preparations for building and logistic arrangements for the system operation
A decentralized solution in the form of a system of residential and group WWTPs has a future if their operation and management takes place on the most technologically advanced basis. Data outputs from operational monitoring must be at a quality level that satisfies the state authorities and complies with legislation and EU standards. The ENCELADUS telemetry system is a step towards your comfort, the satisfaction of state authorities and towards nature itself.